Laughter is one of the best medicines. But if your smile is so out of sorts that you are embarrassed to open your mouth and laugh, you won’t gain any benefits from this built-in mood enhancer. This self-imposed restriction will limit you personally, professionally, socially, and more. Choose a smile makeover – you will get more out of life when there is laughter in it.
The Many Benefits of Laughing
Laughter feels good, makes you happy, and can make the people around you happy. Here are just some of the mental and physical benefits of laughter:
- Reduces stress. Laughter reduces the levels of stress hormones like cortisol. Plus, that clenched up, tense posture you sometimes have can enjoy relaxed muscles for up to 45 minutes after a good laugh. (If your tension is held in your jaw, the resulting TMJ can be painful, cause headaches, damage your enamel, and cause gum recession.)
- Burns calories. Skipped the gym today? If you can laugh for 10 to 15 minutes a day, you’ll burn up to 40 calories. Of course, the harder you laugh the better. Over the course of a year, weight loss can add up to between one to four pounds. (And if your teeth are aligned and healthy and function properly, you will be able to eat the crunchy fruits and veggies and chewy proteins that keep you healthy.)
- Increases immunity. Infection-fighting antibodies and immune cells get a boost from laughter. (Holistic dental treatments improve your health too. Biocompatibility testing ensures that any dental treatment you receive will be received well by your system.)
- Offers pain relief. The release of endorphins triggered by laughter promotes an overall sense of well-being, and can even relieve pain temporarily. (Tooth pain, however, isn’t going anywhere once it begins – always best to get that checked by your holistic dentist.)
- Is a coping mechanism. In unbelievable or difficult situations, it can sometimes be better to laugh than give in to frustrations. (If you’re too ashamed of your smile to laugh, you’ll never reap the benefits of being able to successfully deal with negative events now and in the future.)
- Strengthens relationships. Both personally and professionally, laughter has its place. Being able to share a good laugh with someone you love brings you closer together. Laughter improves the quality of social interaction you have with your coworkers. Plus, laughter is contagious. If you’re laughing and loving it, others will be inspired to follow suit and remember you as the person who can see the lighter side of life. (When you prevent yourself from laughing because your teeth are in such bad shape, you’re missing out on opportunities to connect with others.)
Get a Smile Makeover and Laugh Again
A smile that’s in such disrepair that you stop yourself from laughing means you’re probably censoring yourself in other ways too and all because of your teeth. This is an issue that is fixable. A smile makeover doesn’t have to be intense or prolonged. Every patient’s needs are different. Your smile solution may be as simple as teeth whitening, or as understated as Invisalign. No matter what cosmetic or restorative dentistry solutions you undergo, you can believe that the appearance and feel of your teeth will improve your life dramatically.
If you’re scowling or keeping a straight face rather than giving in to a jolly good time because of your broken-down smile, it’s time to pursue a smile makeover. Make your appointment at the International Center for Dental Excellence with Dr. Yolanda Cintron. Get ready to laugh again.