Dental crowns are a versatile cosmetic dentistry and restorative dentistry solution for teeth that are weak, broken, or discolored. Customized to fit snugly over a tooth, crowns improve the shape, size, and durability of a tooth. And, even better, when you opt for ceramic zirconia crowns, you’re choosing a smart holistic dentistry solution that will look completely natural.
How Are Dental Crowns Holistic?
In holistic dentistry, we seek cosmetic and restorative solutions that will give you the dental repairs your teeth and mouth need without compromising the rest of your health. This means non-mercury fillings and ceramic zirconia crowns that do not contain PFM.
There are typically four different types of crowns:
- Porcelain-fused-to-metal crowns, more commonly called PFM, have a porcelain exterior and a metal interior. The porcelain is created to match the rest of your teeth which makes the crowns look natural. While this type of crown is strong, the metal can be problematic for some wearers.
- All-ceramic or all-porcelain crowns are made with porcelain or engineered dental ceramic and work well for people who have metal allergies. They are not as strong as metal crowns, but the aesthetics and functionality are present.
- Metal crowns are, obviously, made entirely of metal – often gold or another alloy – and they are incredibly durable. However, metal crowns will always be noticeable because they do not match the rest of your teeth. And who wants all that metal in their mouth?
- Ceramic zirconia crowns are the best cover-up for teeth that have become stained or compromised. Strong and resistant to fractures, ceramic zirconia crowns match the shade of your other teeth, making them a popular option that is also safe for those with metal allergies.
The Role of the Ceramic Zirconia Crown
Ceramic zirconia dental crowns serve many roles:
- Protect: Crowns protect a weak tooth from fracturing.
- Support: Crowns support and hold a dental bridge in place.
- Replace: Crowns are used to replace lost tooth structure in order to support a filling.
- Restore: Discolored or oddly shaped teeth are restored to a natural look with crowns.
- Repair: Fractured teeth are repaired with crowns.
- Enhance: Ceramic zirconia crowns cosmetically enhance teeth – and smiles.
The Dental Crown Procedure
Ceramic zirconia crowns are uniquely made to fit your smile and your mouth, and the crown procedure typically takes only two appointments to complete. The tooth in question must first be prepared for the crown, which may mean removing decay from the tooth and removing a small portion of the tooth to make room for the crown. If the tooth needs to be built back up in order for the crown to fit, composite will be used for this work, an impression will be taken, and a custom tooth will be created to match the rest of your teeth.
As you wait for your crown to be made, a temporary crown will be put in place to protect your tooth. When the crown is ready, your dentist will confirm that the fit is spot-on, that your bite is not compromised, and that the tooth mimics your natural tooth. The crown will then be cemented into place. Full functionality will be restored! So you can go celebrate by eating or drinking whatever you like!
Ceramic zirconia crowns are versatile and safe. Learn more about this cosmetic dentistry repair by scheduling a personal consultation with Dr. Yolanda Cintron at Fort Lauderdale’s International Center for Dental Excellence.